Monday, April 23, 2012

connections


       After doing this weeks after on chapter 12 and 13 in Barker’s text, and then comparing the movies (Rebel Without a Cause, Lost in Translation) to the different ideas and theories that our textbooks presents was beyond interesting for me.  I know I seem to say this every time, but sometimes it is hard for me to make a connection with limited examples.  However, I want to spend time talking about Capitalism and Urbanization because those are the two that really popped out at me, and that I came to a clearer understanding of after comparing and thinking about what the text says and the movies.  I have never seen Rebel Without a Cause but I had seen Lost in Translation.  Yes, there were plenty of examples in Rebel Without a Cause that could be compared to the text, but I really want to write about Lost in Translation.  Why? Because up until now I would have never tied this movie to urbanization, capitalism, post modernism, and other things that our text covers if I had not been ‘trained’ to think outside the box/critically or how this relates to these elements.                                                           
   I had seen Lost in Translation about four years ago and enjoyed it, viewing it as a film with a surface plot, like most people probably do.  I liked the idea of the bond between the two characters, and how Bill Murray’s character, Bob Harris, is sort of over his fame hype but has to deal with the cultural imperialism of another country’s hype and excitement to work with him.  I think with the second go around of this movie, I loved being able to understand the whole idea of cultural imperialism, urbanism, and capitalism as major elements to this film.  One of my favorite scenes in the movie is when the Japanese director is photographing Bob and is giving words trying to prompt specific looks asking for “Rat Pack”, “You know Sinatra?” and “Roger Moore”.  This is a perfect example of cultural imperialism and how popular culture can be spread so fast via media.  The photographer knows many elements and ‘personalities’ that are from America that he ask Bob to channel the the photos.    
       In our textbook, Chris Barker writes about capitalism and urban places saying, “Capitalist corporations continually promote commodification and the search for new markets” (Barker, p. 382).  In the case of Lost in Translation all the efforts of Bob being in Japan is to sell a whiskey, however, they (ad companies, and marketing) use many techniques that were directly connected to the U.S.  I agree 100 percent with the idea that capitalist corporations enforce and encourage commodification.  There is nothing that is not driven or motivated by profit.  Today’s society is a constant reminder of this as we see things unfairly advertised in order to gain customers. Last year I took a class that focused on the idea that we are a buying country, we are willing to spend money with the promise that it’s the newest, best, and fastest.  Lost in Translation is just one insight to the idea that America makes money not only here, but by spreading out throughout the world.  People today know Japan to be one of the fastest moving countries and despite recent shut downs of electronic factories, this movie is a prime example of urbanization of a country over a short amount of time.  Kind of makes you step back and think... Hopefully.  xx  

No comments:

Post a Comment